Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Airlifted to UVA!

Please, be praying. Nora is at this moment being airlifted by helicopter from Harrisonburg to University of Virginia. She has been having increasing respiratory distress. Pray for Jason and Janelle as they try to be there and make decisions. That's all for now. I must run as I just got called for a stat consultation at Good Samaritan Hospital in Lebanon as I'm on call tonight. I hope I can think. Herb

From Janelle: I honestly don’t know what to write in a few words and in the few minutes that I have. It has been a nightmare of an afternoon for Jason, Nora and I. In the last few days we have noted signs of more respiratory distress in Nora – increased breathing rate, coughing, grunting and needing more oxygen to keep saturations levels up. Today our home health nurse came out and after checking her wanted us to try to get in with her pediatrician today yet. Kali and Jason came home early from school and we headed to Dr. Aston’s office around 3pm. He made a call to UVA and came back with the plan – we go straight to the ER, he will meet us there, and they are sending the team from UVA to pick her up and transport her (without us) to the PICU at UVA – back to 7th floor of the University Hospital. It all feels like too much. After tears and deliberation with Dr. Ashton and trying to know how to make decisions regarding Nora’s care with so much uncertainty, we headed to the ER. Dr. Ashton left his practice and spent close to 3 hours with us for which we are grateful. I went up to labor and delivery to pump milk to send with Nora and found our wonderful friend Melody Mast who was the midwife on call and she spent about an hour with us in the ER. Her presence was amazing and Jason is on his way to UVA with her car as I type. Our friend and neighbor Ben Pellegrin was working in the ER and brought us water and checked in on us and graciously offered their home to Kali for whenever she needs it. At this point we really don’t know for sure what is going on but her chest x-ray is not clear. She will likely under go more tests but what that will entail we do not know. It feels like a blur of activity, a blur of horribleness…. When will this end for Nora. She seems so confused by the whole thing. I feel like I’m abandoning her! I wish I knew what relief looks like for her. I wish I knew what mercy meant in this situation. I wish I knew how to mother her. She is probably arriving at UVA soon if not already by helicopter. We really have no idea what is ahead. I’m struggling to think enough to pack, clear our week’s schedule, close up the house, and then try to face Kali and know what to say to her and find a place she will be most comfortable in our absence. As always, we are grateful for your thoughts and prayers! Janelle

No comments: