Monday, May 12, 2008

Oxygenation levels dropping

This time I’m sending my Daddy’s update around to all of you because I don’t have the time or words to write. Kali needs to get to bed, Nora needs to get fed, we are tired beyond words. At this point home seems like a distant dream…Janelle

"I am sitting at home eagerly awaiting Sarah's return. She took Kali to Charlottesville to be with her family this afternoon and then headed for home. Nora's condition has changed today. Her oxygen levels have declined so that she is on oxygen all the time. Her cardiac ultrasound shows that she has pulmonary hypertension (elevated pressure in the pulmonary arteries). The cause for this is unclear. The duct and opening between chambers in her heart that usually close at birth are still open. This may actually be helping her at this point. Tomorrow she is to have a cardiac catheterization to better define the situation and potentials for treatment. She has been transferred from the pediatric surgery service to the pediatric medical service. She has cardiologists, pulmonologists and hematologists involved in her care. Jason's parents should have arrived by now to be with them. Depending what happens, Sarah and I may go down later in the week. Through tears my mind is spinning. I look at Nora's picture and fill with love. It touches me to know she is comforted mostly by nursing her mommy. Children dying in Myanmar and China - major catastrophes. Our Nora declining in Virginia also feels like a major catastrophe. I cannot begin to put it together. I wonder to God about it and God says, "Unfair" and cries, too. Herb"

No comments: