Saturday, December 13, 2008

Getting braver!

*Just proof that I'm keeping my commitment! It's been eight weeks so time to get my courage up again and give blood! I didn't realize how popular I would be with O+ blood but I got 2 postcards and about 4 phone calls this past week about blood drives, including the one at Home Depot today. Honestly the most unpleasant part of it was getting there through all the holiday traffic. I was so glad to not be out shopping. They would not let Kali on the "blood bus" so we had to go one at a time. Kali was thrilled, though, to get about 45 minutes with each of us in Barnes and Nobles to read kids' books.

This feels like such a small way to give back in honor and memory of Nora's life but for me a powerful one. There were times during Nora's life that I discovered strength in myself that I don't often tap into. I want to continue to remember that I can in fact do things that I am often quick to say I can't. I even got a little less woozy this time and I was also told I get the record for the fastest flowing blood!!

Completely unrelated but I wanted to add a picture of Kali enjoying Jason and her recent Gift and Thrift find - a desk! It's so cute to hear her say "I'm going to go work at my desk." Today she was doing some cooking and after awhile came proudly to me saying that I needed to come see something. Her room door was closed and on it was a sign with little pictures and then the words, "RATSTART SF OLE." I did my best to read it but she quickly corrected me. It was to say "Restaurant Staff Only."

*The apron was the "thank you" for donating blood. Jason successfully turned down a second one. Anyone need a Paula Deen apron??

2 comments:

Anna Benner said...

The part about Kali's sign made me and Mark laugh! I love reading about the cute things she says and does. Thanks so much for this blog!

Dad Benner said...

WAY TO GO!