Friday, September 19, 2008

Birthday cards

Today while Jason worked up the hill replacing windows at Samuel and Margaret's, Kali and I had a low key day at home. Kali has gotten another virus of some kind - seems like a fairly minor cold thankfully. We puttered around home and in the afternoon got to enjoy having Phoebe with us for a few hours. She brightens up whatever space she is in!!

We went for a walk together down to get the mail. Kali is waiting expectantly for a book that she and Daddy made from a kit she got for her birthday. There was just one piece of mail in the box. It was for Nora. Kali opened it for her and inside was her first birthday card from the Virginia Department of Health (through which we benefited from the WIC program until Nora died.

I did okay taking it in stride this afternoon - Phoebe and Kali were good distractions. And I work in an office where I work with database systems and I know that sometimes a minor error can be a big mess up when you are dealing with people and emotions and life. BUT I have already made at least 2 phone calls to the WIC office and we got a sympathy card from them. I'm not sure how much more specific I can be on the phone other than to inform them that our daughter has died, we are no longer enrolled in the WIC program, we will not be coming to any future appointments and would they please do their best to note that in their system so that we stop receiving phone calls and mail. I tried calling numerous times this afternoon but was unsuccessful getting through the automated system to a person. It's not that I'm somehow forgetting that Nora's first birthday is next month and that none of us will have the joy of celebrating "how much she has grown" in this year. But this kind of reminder is not so welcome...

No comments: