Friday, September 5, 2008

School, already sick...

Tuesday was Kali's first day of school at Shenandoah Valley Community School. She was excited (up off and on from 5:30am on that morning). However, I thought I might have to go to work without my pinky finger that day as she was reluctant to let go of me. The day went fine though and she was eager to return yesterday morning with Jason to "volunteer."

I was not so thrilled Wednesday evening when Kali's nose began dripping constantly and her little eyes started getting that bleary "I don't feel so good" look. So by Thursday morning, just her second day of school as a student, she was already home "sick." She has perked up considerably since then but yesterday when Jason wondered why she was being so quiet and letting him get lots of brick laying done, he found her sound asleep in the hammock (our sure sign that something is not right!! She NEVER takes naps otherwise). I've been told this is par for the course - first year of school she'll be sick a lot. I've also been comforted that it is "good for her" since it builds immunity. I'm trying to let that soak in. Of course we also think about how careful we have been this past year to not expose our family to germs for Nora's sake. I haven't been near as much of a stickler about hand washing and can't say I'm all that thrilled about using hand sanitizer much...

Today is a much needed Friday at home for me. Kali and I started our day with a walk with Kristin and Phoebe and then enjoyed breakfast together. It struck me this morning somehow that Kali is still working on her bag of colored rice krispies that we got in our box of food from the social worker at the hospital during our last stay with Nora.

Kali is currently riding her bike around the front room (going about 4 times as fast as she did the day she got it). I'm enjoying a day to putter and get reacquainted with our home space and with Kali. Kali enjoyed doing some photography this morning while I hung laundry and it seems a few are worth sharing :)

No comments: