Thursday, October 2, 2008

BUTTERFLY

I have an answer from our September 18th question! YES, a butterfly did in fact emerge. Yesterday, October 1st while Jason and Kali were in the Rocking R hardware our butterfly emerged and was sitting on a bag when they returned to the car. Kali had wanted to take it to school and Jason suggested that they leave it there overnight. Kali was insistent upon bringing it home. Smart girl!

I don't know that I've ever been able to watch a monarch butterfly that up close. We took it to the garden and our marigold flowers and left it for the night after watching it open and close its beautiful wings. Today when Kali and Jason checked it was no where to be found.

Two days ago I was about to throw the bouquet in the compost. I thought it wasn't going to hatch and thought maybe it was rotting. Then when I looked closer I realized that it was in fact doing nothing of the sort. The chrysalis was changed from green in color to clear and so we could see the wing patterns from the outside. Amazing!

1 comment:

racheljherr said...

AWESOME! What a pretty one...such vibrant colors.

I had a slightly dissappointing experience with a huge green caterpillar I stuck in a Mason jar several days ago. I don't think he would've turned into a butterfly anyway...and he seemed to hate it in there so I released him yesterday and he crawled away.

Have a nice weekend :-)
Rachel