Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I'm thankful for Nora!

When I was pregnant, whenever we went around the table to say what we were thankful for, Kali always said, "I'm thankful for Drimpy (her chosen name for the baby)." When Nora was born, she changed it slightly and always said, "I'm thankful for Nora." Tonight at dinner we went around to say what we were thankful for from our day. We haven't done it quite as often since Nora died. Kali decided on, "I'm thankful for camp" but then quickly added that it was the only thing she could think of. It was one of those moments where I just wanted a glimpse into what she was thinking but I didn't want to pry. I asked her what she had wanted to say. She only confirmed that she could only think of camp so that was why she said that. We went on to another conversation. About 2 minutes later she said, "I wish I could have said Nora." What to say other than "us too."

It's not many days that I enter the house alone after work and to an empty house. Kali was very interested in what Daddy was doing with the edging bricks on the front walk when we got home so she busied herself getting dirty and "helping." I came in alone to start yogurt, make a creamed soup from our endless supply of overly big zucchini, yellow squash and green beans and other odds and ends around the house. But it wasn't long before I was standing in our bedroom in front of the picture we have of Kali holding a very happy, full of life, baby Nora. I couldn't help but talk to her and allow the tears to flow once again. I miss her...

Kali's back out at the rock pile and my two blisters are questioning the wisdom of spreading more stone but I don't want to miss the cooling off of the evening and working alongside Jason and Kali. But I'll wear gloves this time!

No comments: